Saturday 27 April 2013

Matilda the Musical by the Royal Shakespeare Company




Roald Dahl has been a permanent fixture in my family's life ever since my sister and I were old enough to open our eyes. As young children we were read (and later read to ourselves) 'Revolting Rhymes' so relentlessly that to this day, I can still recite 'Cinderella' from beginning to end without missing a beat. Next of course followed 'James and the Giant Peach', 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' and 'The Witches' and later still, Dahl's more sinister adult short tales such as 'Skin and Other Stories'. Dahl's imagination for the twisted and the fantastical has never failed to amaze me, so imagine how excited I was to discover that someone had transferred a pinch of his brilliance into song and dance, in the shape of one of the best stories of all, 'Matilda'.




For those of you who are yet to discover Roald Dahl, Matilda is the story of a very special little girl born into one of the least special or appreciative families. Taunted and ignored, she turns her attention to the friends that never failed her- books. Then, using her extraordinary mind, Matilda sets out to perform a child's justice in a very adult world.

This uplifting story is one that transfers spectacularly onto stage. The quirky songs (which I wasn't surprised to discover were written by comedian and musician Tim Minchin), tight choreography and wonderful set design all helped animate the characters to larger than life proportions. Miss Trunchball made you want to cower in your seat while Matilda's loathsome parents made you squirm in your skin.


The set at the start of the show. If you want to see more photos from the performance, the Matilda website has a few. 


But the thing that amazed me the most was the performance of the children. Each under 13, they sang, danced and acted as if they'd been doing this job for years beyond their own. They managed the transformation from repulsive little squirts to miniature heroes seamlessly, lead by a resolute Matilda, captivating the hearts of the audience left, right and centre.




I throughly enjoyed the flamboyant performance and I think Dahl would approve, as in his own words he once wrote, "Matilda said, "Never do anything by halves if you want to get away with it. Be outrageous. Go the whole hog. Make sure everything you do is so completely crazy it's unbelievable..."" I think the RSC's interpretation of 'Matilda' might just fit the bill.


6 comments:

  1. Arghh, I really want to see Matilda! It looks so good! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw well I'd really recommend it! I know tickets can be pretty pricey, but sometimes cheap tickets turn up if you go along to the box office on the day because every now and then people return them =)

      KatieJane
      xxx

      Delete
  2. oh i want to see this! was my fave movie back in the day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really recommend it although it is fairly different from the movie!

      KatieJane
      xxx

      Delete
  3. I'd looove to see this. I also loved the film, and the book, it's always fun to see things interpreted differently. Glad you had fun!
    http://myfroley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Well it's definitely a different take on the 'classic' story, but so worth a watch =)

      KatieJane
      xxx

      Delete