Thursday 5 March 2015

Starting Work in The City

In the last month, I have started what I consider to be my first proper job. Not the kind of job which you use to fill up your summer months or fund your latest spending spree, but one where I have to turn up by nine each morning and don’t leave until at least six. The kind of job I could end up doing for the rest of my working life. Now that’s a scary prospect!




As a twenty two year old, I have never been in the same place, as it were, for more than seven years. Primary school, secondary school and university have been my life, as I guess it has been for most other British kids in their early twenties. Every year, you know you’re ‘going up a level’ and moving forwards, but eventually that stops.

A fair bit of my schooling career has been building up to this. ‘You must get good GCSEs to go on to A levels, good A levels to get to uni and a good degree to get to work’ has pretty much been the haunting mantra that’s followed me and many of my peers since about the age of 14. And I don’t think that’s a bad thing, not at all. It’s got me to where I am now and that’s brilliant. The only question is, what’s next?

Now, I’ve landed in the big wide world of work and suddenly the path forward isn't quite so clear. I’m expected to act like a fully-fledged adult and yet I still feel like a student. Suddenly, there are no obvious signposts or people telling me exactly what I have to do next. The main message seems to be ‘forge your own career’ but as someone who’s always been pushed off in the right direction, this abruptly feels like I’ve been dumped far out at sea with no sight of land and some idiot threw the compass overboard!

However, what I’ve learned over the last month is that things are not quite as hopeless as they first appear. For one, starting work is exciting. There are so many new people to meet and things to learn. If there’s one thing I have found it’s that you’ll be occupied. At times, everything can be a bit much, but as things slowly start to fall in place, everything makes sense. Information overload flattens out as you realise that all the many things you were told from on day one, you will use on day two, three and four until it’s like you’ve always known them. New language, faces and places quickly become familiar and the process of assimilating new stuff becomes quicker and easier. And people are willing to help (or at least point you in the direction of someone or something who can). You plunge in at the deep end but sooner or later, your feet connect with the sandy bottom.

I’ve not been working long, but I’m already feeling like I’m settling in. Future goals are appearing on the horizon and although the route to them is not nearly as clear cut as it is in education, there is a way forward.
So if you’re about to be in the same position as me, let me tell you a couple of things I’ve learnt- although I’m an analyst in a large consulting firm, I believe what I’m about to say will apply across the board. Firstly, ask questions. Everyone has advice from how you should conduct yourself on a day to day basis to what’s the best way forwards to you. The information is out there, it just takes a little legwork to track down the right person safeguarding it.  Secondly, take opportunities. Go for drinks with your team after work or to that optional breakfast meeting. You never know who you may meet or what opportunities may arise. Offer to help other people out- you will learn something and they’ll remember that you were helpful. Lastly, enjoy yourself. This is an exciting time and sooner or later, turning up for work every day will become run of the mill- make the most of it while it’s still shiny and new! Oh, and make sure you always have a good lunch- if things aren’t going quite your way in the morning, a tasty lunch will make things feel a whole lot better!




7 comments:

  1. Good luck in the world of work Katie. I felt completely lost when I first started too everything did settle in the end. I still ask questions too. I think it's important to learn what you can. Katie x

    www.katiejaneonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So helpful :) I'm a Belgian last-year business economics student and these kind of posts feel very comforting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Just popped onto your blog and I love it! Hope the scary world of work is going well! x

    brightredwellies.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jessica! Much appreciated =)


    KJx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bailey- I think you're totally right! Let's just hope I've picked the right path =)


    KJx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Katie! I'll keep that in mind =)


    KJx

    ReplyDelete