Thursday 21 February 2013

DIY Valentines

My boyfriend and I decided this Valentines, we'd have a crack at making presents for each other. I have to admit, I was pretty dubious about this to start with but surprisingly  it turned out to be really fun trying to guess what he could possibly be making, while panicking at my lack of arty skills.
I trawled the internet looking for ideas, but all the craft sites seemed to be suggesting overly girlish presents which I'm fairly sure no man would want to possess, let along treasure! In the end, I resorted back to my all time favourite blogger who made these delightfully fluffy owls! They're simple to make, not too girly (I don't think?) and oh so cute, so if you get the chance have a go and make one! I've already had requests from friends for more!




The production process was simple enough- it essentially involved making a stencil, cutting out your fabric and sewing on cute, goggly owl features! I used some pretty cotton I found on ebay and felt for the details.



As you can see, I cut a stencil out of paper and then cut two of the stencil shapes out of the fabric- one for the front and one for the back of the owl.


These were the colours I used.


I sewed on the features before joining the front and back of the owl together.


Sew the front and back together inside out. This way, all the stitching is invisible when you turn him back round the right way. 

Everybody meet Hoots! I filled him with rice, but you could simply fill him with soft toy stuffing if you fancy a squishier owl. 


Hoots went down very well with my boyfriend although I had quite a hard time giving him up-he's just too cute with those big round eyes! I especially love the fact that if you decided to fill your owl with rice, you can heat him up in the microwave and snuggle with him on nippy nights. I'd definitely suggest having a go at making one of your own!



5 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I'd LOVE a big one like this one. You must have amazing friends for them to deserve a big fluffy owl. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This owl is so sweet!!!! Thank you for the lovely comment...if you want we can follow each other =)
    I love your hair!!!!
    kisses,

    vogue4breakfast.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you =) and i've just started following you =) xxx

      Delete
  3. you're welcome katie =)
    thanks for coming by and drop sweet compliments on my blog !
    you are so talented !!!
    i lovee that sweet DIY so much ^^
    xx

    www.melodyofmywords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete